AAAS-ARISE is accepting submissions for its 2024 ADAPTATIONS blog series. Submissions are due by December 11, 2023, at 11:59 PM PT.
The ADAPTATIONS blog series advances research toward, and replication of, what works in the education of STEM teachers for high-need school districts through sharing of evidence-based innovations to encourage adaption and to move forward collective evolution of effective preparation.
Preparing and Retaining a Skilled and Compassionate STEM Teacher Workforce for High-Need Schools
- Evidence-based strategies for recruiting, preparing, and retaining a diverse group of teachers and teacher leaders
- Addressing teacher/student mental health and well-being, building identity
- Transforming classrooms to equitable, just, and democratic places of learning
- Using technology as a tool for student research and to promote critical thinking
- Building communities to support teachers, students, or schools/districts
- Developing curriculum and/or professional development that integrates STEM standards and focuses on student assets, not deficits
Guidelines for Developing Blog Content
- Blog posts should provide an overview of the author’s subject, the results of any related research, the implications of their work for these communities: teacher educators, researchers, school administrators, K-12 teachers, others as relates to the topic.
- Each blog post should recommend entry points and/or specific steps that can be taken by the audience to address the issues raised in the blog post. Any best practices or strategies recommended should be evidence-based. If appropriate, we encourage authors to offer their research, personal experiences, stories, and examples of strategies that they’ve used or are familiar with and found to be effective.
- Take a moment to review the blogs currently on the ARISE site that date from 2019.
- The ARISE blog audience includes Noyce PIs, Co-PIs, other education and/or STEM content faculty who prepare pre-service teachers, researchers, NSF and DOE staff, school district administrators, teachers, and others in the STEM education community.
- For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blog Post Components
- Authors: Each post features one author and up to two co-authors. The AAAS-ARISE team will need a short bio and headshot for all authors. Please let us know if the lead author would like to include additional authors.
- Featured Image or Video:
- We encourage authors to provide a photo or image that complements their posts and is provided at the start of the piece. Images should be hi-resolution and will be cropped to fit into the blog post. If authors are unable to provide an image, the AAAS-ARISE team will supply one.
- Authors may wish to create a short video to accompany their blog post. Videos should not exceed 5 minutes or solicit funding. Videos can introduce the post or illustrate an example of their work. They should be created in 16:9 format and uploaded to YouTube.
- Body Text: The main content of the blog should range from 800-1200 words. Authors are welcome and encouraged to develop resources that further illustrate the information in their blog post such as graphs, charts, infographics, embedded videos, and/or links to additional resources for further reading and analysis. Please ensure all images are hi-resolution and include proper credit, as applicable.
- Additional Resources: Blog pages can include an Additional Resources section that will be included at the end of the page. This section can feature up to five materials (e.g., project websites, reports, infographics, featured papers, etc.) via hyperlinks. If authors are interested in featuring a larger library of resources, we will be able to build a dedicated section on the page.
- References: All references should appear in APA format and provide links where possible.